Graphic Designer/Web Developer
Innovative Full-Time Graphic Designer in Web and Print!
This is an in-house, full-time position based out of Lynnwood! This is non-negotiable, so please only apply if this suits you and your career goals.
The designer will be responsible for producing design solutions for print and digital marketing materials, custom signage, extensive web development, branding, etc. You will be working on multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment with varying levels of structure. This position is responsible for conceptualizing and creating art direction and brands, and must actively take ownership in the visual identity of the company. Passivity does not work here — no pun intended.
This position has a substantial emphasis on web development, so simply graphic design experience will not qualify you. You must have some strong “web developer” bones in your body.
We Are Looking For An Individual Who Meets the Following Criteria:
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to respond appropriately to constant change in priorities
- Proven record of exceptional attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Detail- and process-oriented
- Ability to shine under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented atmosphere
- Highly conceptual thinker
- Ability to take ownership of issues
- Participate in planning, concept, and strategy sessions
- Strong customer relationship and people skills
What Does the Graphic Designer/Web Developer Do?
- Utilize the latest available software, develop and design concepts based on strategic insight with superior creative skills
- Avid user of apps on social networks (Facebook, Twitter, the list goes on)
- Create mock-ups and develop page layout and navigation
- Coordinate with company departments in the development of websites and other digital media
- Determines user’s needs, strategies, and goals and develop sites/designs/products that meet those needs
- Format all files for printing or other output means as required
- Achieve a minimal error rate in design content demonstrating the ability to question effectively and model the division’s needs with whatever information is supplied
- Become and stay aware of current marketing trends and promotional concepts at work in the world through constant market research and personal passion
- Perform various design projects to accommodate the daily flow of business within the context of needs as assigned
- Back-up all files and maintain design server organization with exceptional attention to detail
- Provide recommendations for printing methods and materials to best suit the needs of each project
- Design creative and unique visually appealing artwork both from scratch and from existing design direction
- Create finished print related materials, including documents, presentations, brochures, stationary, whitepapers, conference material, signage, event signage, etc.
- Design and develop strong visually focused, web related marketing material using HTML5, CSS3, etc.
- Gather requirements and estimating hours/budget and prepare & maintain scopes
- Programs online, mobile-capable, and/or desktop user interfaces for a variety of platforms
- Implements performance and website/ search engine optimization best practices
- Interpret feedback and manage expectations
- Understand scope, budget, and timeline of projects and be able to communicate effectively to ensure smooth delivery
- Implements tracking and measurement technology on developed applications
- Determines and understands technical requirements and how they translate into design and development
- Communicate with marketing leadership to develop a keen understanding of our audience and help create a unique design aesthetic for each of our many web properties that is aligned to the needs of the target personas
- Oversee front-end browser testing (QA/QC)
Qualifications, Education, And/Or Experience:
- BA/MA in Web Design, Graphic Design, or a related discipline
- Portfolio of work demonstrating professional experience on web and graphic design with an emphasis on consumer-facing web and mobile experiences, branding, and digital communications
- Minimum of four years experience working in a collaborative, team environment, with three years experience in graphic design and/or web development
- Sharp and creative design sense for layout, typography, color, visual communication
- In-depth knowledge of design principles, layout, and color theory
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to build and maintain cooperative relationships with clients and peers
- Ability to deal with constantly changing priorities and deadlines utilizing excellent time management and teamwork skills
- Ability to follow technical specifications and production processes; thorough attention to detail
- Desire to create effective, engaging, and visually rich mobile and web experiences with a proven ability to adapt to your audience
- Excellent communication and time management skills; comfortable with working independently and with a team
- Willingness to take creative direction and incorporate feedback into your design
- Passion for new and emerging technologies and industries
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and consistently meet project deadlines
- High-level knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite (CS5 or higher), especially Photoshop and Illustrator, creating high quality graphics optimized for web and mobile use
- Expert knowledge of WordPress, as well as the integration of WP plugins — other CMS knowledge a plus
- HTML without the help of Dreamweaver or other WYSIWYG editor (gotta know the basics)
- Expert-level understanding of HTML5/CSS3 development and best practices
- Strong understanding of graphic design and mobile application development and interfaces (iOS and Android platforms)
- Strong knowledge of responsive design and UX/UI
- Fundamental page layout and design sensibilities
What The Howard Group Has To Offer:
- Fun and upbeat working environment
- Direct and open communication
- Extensive training and accelerated development
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Competitive salary, based on experience and performance
- Motivating bonus structure
- Medical benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick leave
Application Submission Requirements:
If you meet our minimum requirements and are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a link to your digital portfolio along with your application and include "Graphic Designer/Web Developer” in the subject line of your email. When emailing your cover letter and resume, insert text into body of email. Due to virus concerns, we do not accept attachments.
We are small business and work closely as a team, so a personality match, along with experience, is important to us. Use your cover letter to sell us on why you would be an asset to our team and what makes you stand out as a person and a team member.
The Howard Group, Inc. has been twice voted the Western Washington’s Small Business of the Year by the Better Business Bureau.
Only extremely qualified candidates will be considered at this time. We will need you to hit the ground running! We apologize in advance that a response or follow up will not be given to all applicants.